[Vtigercrm-developers] new responsive template as community open source project, someone want contribute?

Preexo preexo at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 21 09:39:31 GMT 2015

Hey Simone,

I really like the look of your template and we could really use something
more responsive!

My team and I thought about giving your template a try and contributing back
to it. But then decided against it, for now at least.
The problem we have is that it is too many different things that need
contribution now. It becomes a maintenance nightmare the more other projects
we adopt with our vtiger. Oh hang on, it is already a maintenance nightmare!
But if we add more other repositories that need to be considered whenever we
make a change in one of the others or vtiger releases an update, it just
becomes worse. Two repositories to keep in mind is the nightmare already,
three would definitely break it all the time.

Currently we are maintaining our own changes and push them back into our
vtiger installation after every update. If vtiger would actually accept any
changes or move towards a more modular system which allows changes without
hacking vtiger all the time, we could start thinking about contributing to
another repository. If we did that, taking a fork of vtiger, your template
and our own changes and never look back to vtiger would be wiser, much
wiser!

Maybe it's because our vtiger adoption was only this year and I'm not used
to it yet, maybe because I saw other projects before that worked much more
flawlessly concerning extensions... But currently I start crying about how
the opensource project vtiger is being treated almost every day! It's one of
the worst examples of open source. The base was so promising, vtiger is at
the top of all other PHP open source CRMs... But as soon as you start
changing stuff inside you realize... You are all alone! Fighting for
yourself! You can leave bits and pieces of code in this mailinglist, you can
find bits and pieces of code in this mailinglist. But real contribution
seems not to be desired by anyone really. So sad!

Keep fighting Simone, let's hope for a better future and that anyone from
the owners of the current opensource project actually wakes up one day and
finally sees all the potential that is being wasted because they don't
provide the most simplest things.