[Vtigercrm-developers] extension store

Alan Bell alan.bell at libertus.co.uk
Tue Sep 23 11:48:54 GMT 2014

On 23/09/14 11:58, Zebra Hosting wrote:
> We are also planning modules for the extension store but still working
> on it, first one will be JoomBridge, connecting (multiple) Joomla
> websites / users with vTiger contacts with two way sync. We use it for
> our customer service to reset passwords and user levels from within
> vTiger for Joomla website where the shop and content lives.
> Probably extended with Hikashop and Acymaling modules to also see that
> data in vTiger. (The extended NAW data from Hikashop is than merged in
> the user contacts).
>
> JoomBridge is running fine for a while with websites that contain more
> than 1000 users. We had to wait for a final vTiger because things kept
> changing till the last version. Guess that counts for more people.

those sound cool.

I have plans that include:
integrate a full text search engine (lucene/sphinx or possibly elastic
search or something else) that indexes everything including attached files.
add together.js functionality integrated so it automatically knows your
username and so on
do something to better expose the data from modtracker, so you can see
who changed what when on an entity. Perhaps a bit like an etherpad
timeline view.

and some other plans. Some might be free, some might be cheap, some
might be a bit more. All will be "Free Software" and sticking a price on
things and hoping that people will pay it is entirely consistent with
the free software foundation principals.
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

> The extension store could be a succes if prices are a but in line with
> ‘reasonable’ levels. Overpricing will make it fail. (But that’s
> another difficult discussion)
it is a useful discussion. What is reasonable pricing? What do we
compare it to?

We don't have any clue at the moment what the volume levels might be,
but I am fairly confident that there are more smartphone users than
vtiger installations, so it might not be reasonable to expect to compare
a chunk of business functionality for unlimited users to the price of a
smartphone app that allows you to throw a pig at some fruit or whatever
the latest thing is.

Should we be thinking in terms of selling 1000 copies of something for
$5, selling 100 copies of something for $50 or 10 for $500?

Alan.

--
Libertus Solutions
http://libertus.co.uk