[Vtigercrm-developers] Customer Portal

Alan Lord (News) alanslists at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 18:46:27 GMT 2014

On 04/09/14 19:29, Prasad wrote:
> Błażej,
>
> Sorry for the limited scope of knowledge I have.
>
> As a customer I would be interested to report an issue and look forward
> to get an updated (resolution or tips) and not willing to go through
> entire system.
>
> However, crm-agent would be more interested to go through all the
> historic issues reported and knowledge base that can assist him to solve
> the problem.
>
> Wouldn't this mean - customer portal should as simple and straight
> forward as possible?
>
> I'm not sure if customer-portal would be used for anything other than this.

We have customers that need to edit vtlib custom module records in-line
on the Portal. They submit gas/electricity Meter readings via the
portal, and also update address and other details about the locations of
Meters.

Who are *we* to determine what the use-case should be limited to?

The way Odoo (formerly OpenERP) have done it sounds kind of similar to
what Błażej describes. The Portal functionality is simply the same UI
but with reduced scope (and the administrator can configure the width
and depth of that scope per customer or group). The same front end also
acts as the CMS (Blog, brochure type site) and the e-commerce interface too.

It might be worth playing with it to get an idea of what might be
possible...

https://github.com/odoo/odoo/tree/8.0

HTH

Libertus Solutions