[Vtigercrm-developers] YetiForce 0.0.3 and other forks

Hamono, Chris (DPC) Chris.Hamono at sa.gov.au
Tue Oct 14 01:14:50 GMT 2014

My 2c worth

It is very obvious the open source version of VTiger sadly lags behind OnDemand in both features and fixes.

OnDemand is designed for profit and that’s great. The core developers need to earn a wage for their hard work! It is seen as necessary to have a better version as the paid version. Why else would people use it if they could just run up a local copy.

While I can understand the idea behind running 2 different versions I believe the logic is flawed, and this is why...

Two versions create angst. Just read this mailing list to see that.
Two versions stop developers from contributing. I have tried but it’s too hard.
Therefore angry developers create forks.
Forks reduce the number of active developers, they are now spread across multiple projects.
Many people cannot use the OnDemand version, for example us, we are a government agency that hosts sensitive information.
Too many forks are confusing for users – which fork has the best support, which fork has the function they need?

And finally
The audience for OnDemand and open-source are different markets. They barely overlap, but they do listen to each other.

What this means is you actually get fewer customers using OnDemand than you would if there was only one version and a happy community.

The *perceived* risk is. If there was only one version, then other people would create their own OnDemand instances and therefore reduce profit by taking customers. While that is true to a point it is wrong to see it as a weakness. It is actually a strength. Customers who are willing to pay for OnDemand will prefer to use the version created by the original developers. Therefore vtiger.com will always be the most popular.

The open source version is the best advertising you can get for the OnDemand version.

Chris

p.s. now can we get back to fixing real problems like the workflow problem I have mentioned?