[Vtigercrm-developers] Modifying system files

Sreenivas Kanumuru svk at vtiger.com
Fri Jun 20 10:42:03 GMT 2014

Mariusz,

Thanks for sharing these issues. We are keen on addressing the deficiencies
that force developers to modify core files. We will prioritize these and
address in 6.1 (July) or 6.2 (Dec).  I commented on the issues below and
requested some clarifications.

8105 - No possibility to change menu without modifying system files
<http://trac.vtiger.com/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/ticket/8105>

Are you looking to add a new item under existing category (this is already
possible) or are you looking to add a new category under All menu?

8106 - No possibility to add new fields in Convert Leads window
<http://trac.vtiger.com/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/ticket/8106>

To add a field to Convert Lead window, you just need to make the field of
Org/Contact/Opportunity Mandatory from Layout editor.

8107 - No possibility to add and move widgets in Summary View
<http://trac.vtiger.com/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/ticket/8107>

This will be addressed in 6.1 / 6.2

8108 - No possibility to trigger workflows after actions in related tabs
<http://trac.vtiger.com/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/ticket/8108>

This will be addressed in 6.1 / 6.2

8109 - No possibility to change the login page
<http://trac.vtiger.com/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/ticket/8109>

We did not follow the need for an extension just to change login page. What
benefits will user get from a different login page?

8110 - No possibility to change the default mail client
<http://trac.vtiger.com/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/ticket/8110>

Integrated mail manager does some bookkeeping tasks such as attaching the
outgoing email to the contact record (to show in Contact > Emails tab). An
alternative Email module will need to complete the tasks to effectively
replace the default Email client. We will need to develop proper hooks to
allow developers to write alternative Email modules. We also need to
enhance framework to allow different modules to be registered for a given
action, and ask user which module they want to use (and remember the
selection). This requires an substantial change in the framework. We will
not be able to pick this up in 6.1 or 6.2.

Regards,
Sreenivas