[Vtigercrm-developers] newlines in Product/Service Descriptions

Alan Lord alanslists at gmail.com
Fri Nov 29 12:28:57 GMT 2013

Sometimes I am amazed by the kind of things I find... This is in vtiger
5.4.0.

Our client wants the newlines that are in many of his Product
Description field values to be printed in his PDFMaker Quotes, Sales
Orders and Invoices.

Not an unfair request I think. In fact I was rather surprised to find
they didn't.

During my investigations I have discovered two rather odd things about
this area.

1. The Product/Service Description gets copied to the 'comment' field in
the vtiger_inventoryproductrel table. The comment field is a VARCHAR of
*just* 250 chars.

So I fixed that and made it a TEXT.

2. Even though the data is stored in the comment field with line breaks,
when you view your Quote in DetailView these are removed and seemingly
also removed during delivery to PDFMaker. Look at your Quote in EditView
however, and you can see the line breaks.

I have 2 questions...

1. How on earth has this managed to be like this for so long?
2. What's the right/best way to fix it?

Cheers