[Vtigercrm-developers] Seeking clarification regarding Taxes

Luc Van Hove luc.vanhove at lucassoft.be
Fri May 24 22:01:24 UTC 2013

Hi,

Mani, I will try to give you a simple view of how it is in Belgium.
We do not call it Tax but BTW (VAT in English).

Will tax be always on the post-discount price of a product?
[hovel] *yes.*

Will Sales people be selecting the taxes when they add a product to an
Invoice?
[hovel] *No*. The BTW is product/service related. It can be added
automatically.

An Invoice will have many line items. Should taxes be selectable at the
line item level? or should they be selectable only at invoice level (i.e,
the same taxes will apply for all items in the invoice).
[hovel] *Only at item level*. It is mandatory to specify the BTW rate at
item level. (The rate, not the value)

Should tax values displayed at item level ?
[hovel] *Yes BTW-rate or code**, not value! (e.g. 21%)*

Should we show Net price after taxing at item level ?
[hovel] *No*?

Should the compound tax is on (all the taxes above + Amount ) OR  is on
(some taxes + Amount) ?
[hovel] *There are no compound taxe**s.*

Is it common to impose tax on the total value of purchase if we already
added at Item Level ?
[hovel] *Item level **BTW rate is mandatory*!

How common is imposing taxes on charges (Ex: shipping tax on Shipping
Charges ) ?
[hovel] *Shipping is a service and therefore taxable. It should be part
of the line items**.*

Is multilevel taxing (Taxing at subtotal stages) needed ?
[hovel] *no*.

Apart from many other mandatory things ,an invoice in Belgium contains
three major parts relating to BTW:

1 - *line items*
     Name + quantity + unit price + total price + BTW-rate.
     Item1    1    50,00EUR     50,00EUR    21,00%
     Item2    2    25,00EUR     50,00EUR    21,00%
     Item3    4    25,00EUR    100,00EUR     6,00%

2 - *BTW rat**e summary*
     Per BTW rate present in the line items part
     total price for this rate + BTW-rate + BTW amount for this rate;
     e.g.
     100,00EUR    21,00%    21,00EUR
     100,00EUR     6,00%     6,00EUR

3 - *Grand total section                (e.g.)*
     Grand total price Excluding BTW    200,00EUR
     Grand total BTW amount              27,00EUR
     Grand total price including BTW    227,00EUR

Best regards,
Hovel