[Vtigercrm-developers] A note on Role based picklists in vtiger6

Alan Lord alanslists at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 08:49:07 UTC 2013

On 21/03/13 08:35, Vikas Jain wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In Vtiger 6, we have dropped the support for role based picklists. This
> feature was rarely used, but due to it, usability and performance
> suffered (Alan's email "Performance Tweaking?" below discusses the
> performance impact). As improving usability was the primary focus for
> Vtiger6, this is one feature, which we felt had to go. Administrators
> can still create and edit picklists but all choices in the picklists
> will be visible to all members who have access to the field (field level
> access is controlled via profile).

Hi Vikas,

I'm with you on this. +1

Role-based picklists always *seemed* like a really nice feature, but I
can't think of one customer that really uses it...

The one issue I had with the change in 5.4.0 is the Picklist editor is a
bit broken. (It works but the main page view doesn't show the picklist
values, and the sequence column gets populated with picklist values so
re-ordering doesn't really work. If I have time, it would be nice to
have a patch for 5.4.0 that supports UIType 16 editing better but right
now time is not something I have a great deal of.

(That's a good thing BTW!)

Cheers

Libertus Solutions
http://www.libertus.co.uk