[Vtigercrm-developers] A note on Role based picklists in vtiger6

Vikas Jain vikas at vtiger.com
Thu Mar 21 08:35:58 UTC 2013

Hi,

In Vtiger 6, we have dropped the support for role based picklists. This
feature was rarely used, but due to it, usability and performance suffered
(Alan's email "Performance Tweaking?" below discusses the performance
impact). As improving usability was the primary focus for Vtiger6, this is
one feature, which we felt had to go. Administrators can still create and
edit picklists but all choices in the picklists will be visible to all
members who have access to the field (field level access is controlled via
profile).

Here are the results of changing 45 of the picklists from 15 to 16 in
> seconds according to Google Chrome:
> Load module "A" Detail View (UIType 15) - 6.28, 5.35, 5.75
> Load module "A" Detail View (UIType 16) - 2.03, 2.08, 2.00
> Load module "A" Edit View (UIType 15) - 11.69, 11.04, 11.57
> Load module "A" Edit View (UIType 16) - 3.31, 3.18, 3.20
> These tests were done on my laptop (which is not a fast machine). On our
> development server, the Edit View page load is down to less than one
> second where it was around 4 - 5 before.

thanks,
Vikas
Vtiger Team