[Vtigercrm-developers] The Forge?

Sreenivas Kanumuru svk at vtiger.com
Wed Jan 30 02:06:04 PST 2013

Hi Błażej, Adam, John,

Thanks for sharing your feedback.

All our developers have been working feverishly to get Vtiger CRM 6
completed and released. Though our team has grown considerably in the past
year,
Vtiger 6 has taken all our energy and some more. We are also releasing a
security patch for Vtiger CRM 5.4 in February. As a result of this, our
efforts on
reviewing extensions and forge projects faltered. I apologize for the  delays
 (Adam, Geo Tools project has been activated on forge)

*Connecting better with Developers*
We are working on several initiatives to make Vtiger more developer
friendly.

1. Vtiger CRM 6 will be more developer friendly . Reference - Vtiger 6
Developer 'Guide<https://wiki.vtiger.com/index.php/Vtiger_6_Developer_Guide>
2. Upgrading vtiger forums to foster better discussions including
code-related ones. We plan to roll out new forums within a week
3. Replacing Forge (see below)
4. Appoint Community Liaison to improve communication with developers

We plan to complete the above within the next 2 to 3 months.

*Forge or Github?*
Vtiger forge is running on a old gForge version. We are deliberating on
whether to switch to gitlabs platform, or whether it is better for
developers
directly host projects on github.com. git certainly makes sharing code
easier, and we are tempted to make the switch to either the self-hosted or
the cloud one. We welcome your thoughts on this.

*Participating on the developers list*
Adam said:

> *This is the only developer mailing list I'm on that the core developers don't
> participate -- and I don't mean answering questions, I mean asking them,
> talking about upcoming features, and taking advantage of the experience and
> perspective that other programmers bring to the table.*

We are getting better at asking for help (ex: vtiger 6 UI design feedback
requests, giving early access to Vtiger 6 code to get feedback), but i
agree we can benefit more by consulting more often.

*Vtiger 6 Status*
We expect to release RC version and final versions in March/April
timeframe. Settings pages and a small set of features (Duplicate merging,
..etc) are yet to be implemented in the new UI. You can access the Vtiger 6
code updates here - svn
link<http://vtiger.blr/svn/comvtiger/vtigercrm/branches/6.0.0/>
 (we will publish latest code again next week)

thanks,
Sreenivas