[Vtigercrm-developers] decimal type sizes

Adam Heinz amh at metricwise.net
Mon Feb 11 11:03:43 PST 2013

I was just reading up on the storage requirements of the MySQL decimal type
[1] while staring at vtiger_inventoryproductrel.  It looks like
decimal(8,2) will suit our needs, as that will cover quotes up to
$999,999.99 using four bytes.  It looks like the vtiger default is
decimal(25,3), which uses twelve bytes.  I recognize that conversion rates
for non-US currency might cause larger values in this field than we are
accustomed to, but do we really envision the need for
9,999,999,999,999,999,999,999.999 in our price columns?

[1]
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/precision-math-decimal-changes.html