[Vtigercrm-developers] aggregating ModComments

Adam Heinz amh at metricwise.net
Thu Feb 7 09:37:05 PST 2013

I'm prototyping a feature where comments are aggregated.  For example, if
I'm viewing comments on an Account, I might want to see all comments for
the Contacts associated with the Account.  The reverse could also be true;
maybe I want to see the Account comments if I'm looking at a Contact.

I notice there is already a vtiger_modcomments.parent_comments column in
the database, but it appears to be unused in 5.4.0.  What is the intended
purpose of this field?

On a somewhat related note, why are the related_to and parent_comments
fields VARCHAR?  Shouldn't they either be INTEGER or broken out into a join
table?  I am really not a fan of putting a bunch of database ids into a
field separated by semicolons; SQL really doesn't handle that sort of
shenanigans very well.