[Vtigercrm-developers] adodb version

Adam Heinz amh at metricwise.net
Thu Mar 29 07:37:35 PDT 2012

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 8:56 AM, Prasad <prasad at vtiger.com> wrote:
> We experimented to interface PDO & ADODB (for few meta-operations) on DB.
> Any assistance to verify and contribute towards it is appreciated.

I'll read through the code as soon as I can allocate a chunk of time.

What is the reason for switching to PDO? (Versus ADOdb Active Records:
http://phplens.com/lens/adodb/docs-active-record.htm)  From my limited
understanding, the main reason to migrate from ADOdb to PDO is
performance, as PDO is natively compiled with PHP itself.  I can't
envision a scenario where you need both -- which is what the PDO-ADOdb
connector suggests -- unless it is part of a larger migration
strategy.

Right now vtiger already has two database abstraction layers
(PearDatabase + ADOdb) and we are discussing adding a third (PDO)?
What is the end goal here?  Personally, I'd love to see vtiger end up
with only PDO or ADOdb and nothing else -- a single abstraction layer.
 Move any db-specific SQL rewriting into QueryGenerator and get down
to a single abstraction layer!