[Vtigercrm-developers] What should be the best approach, customize Contacts or develop new module?

Adam Heinz amh at metricwise.net
Thu Jul 5 07:00:28 PDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 10:09 PM, possebon <possebon at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have concerns too about the evolution of vTiger versions. If I
> change/customize the Contacts module, I think that I’ll have issues when
> updating/migrating vTiger to newer versions.

I think you have good instincts here.  When we first started using
vTiger 5.0.4, we hacked the existing modules to do what we wanted.
Now that we have upgraded to 5.2.1, we find ourselves using vtlib more
and more and creating new modules from scratch.  My experience with
hacking existing modules is that you save some amount of work up
front, but you pay it right back fixing unexpected behavior reported
by customers.  It can also be quite a headache to merge new versions
of vTiger over your local codebase... which is a large part of why
we're still running 5.2.1 and not 5.3 or 5.4