[Vtigercrm-developers] sequence tables vs auto_increment

Asha asha at vtiger.com
Fri Apr 27 00:02:15 PDT 2012

Hi Nicolas,

You are absolutely right. The main reason to go with sequence tables
instead of auto increment fields is to support portability.

But unfortunately, some tables are left over with auto-increment columns
yet, which needs to be cleaned up eventually.

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 2:15 AM, Nicolas Larcipretti <
niclarcipretti at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi rodrigo,
>
> Indeed, that would be changing 6 for half a dozen like we say in Brazil
> (lol).
>
> Cheers
>
> 2012/4/26 Rodrigo Souza <rodrigo at hostplan.com.br>
>
>>  Dears
>>
>> the oracle is to create a trigger to feed an autonumber field, then the
>> problem would notextinguish these tables _seq
>>

>> Atte,
>> *Rodrigo Souza de Oliveira*
>> *Consultor de TI
>> *Hostplan Informática Ltda
>> Telefones: (21) 9217-7909 e/ou (21) 8153-5287
>> website: www.hostplan.com.br
>> e-mail/msn: rodrigo at hostplan.com.br
>>

>> Em 26 de abril de 2012 16:54, Nicolas Larcipretti <
>> niclarcipretti at gmail.com> escreveu:
>>
>>> Maybe portability. If you try to port all the tables to Oracle, for
>>> instance, auto-increment would never work. But if you control the sequences
>>> in a separate table, it becomes highly portable.
>>>
>>> Don't know if the people who first developed Vtiger were thinking this
>>> way...but it's definitely a good way to think!

>>> http://www.vtiger.com/

Asha
vtiger Team

*Connect with us on: *Twitter <http://twitter.com/#%21/vtigercrm> *I*