[Vtigercrm-developers] UTF-8 issue in PDF invoice - vtiger 5.3.0./5.2.1.

Holbok István holbok at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 12:07:16 PST 2011

Hi vtiger Team,

There is a hard to find UTF-8/i18n issue in PDF system of vtiger

The attached sample Invoice (vtiger 5.3.0.) will show this issue. Al
letters of "őűŐŰ" was changed into the ? mark. There are some hardcoded
language definition also in the invoice module but it is not problem, I
should add them into the Hungarian language files.

There are a sequence of special non ASCII characters in Hungarian language.

*öüóőúéáűí and ÖÜÓŐÚÉÁŰÍ*

Hard to find this bug, because ISO-8859-1 also contains most of these
characters. The checking point is *őűŐŰ*

"őűŐŰ" will appear in the character set if the encoding is ISO-8859-2 or
UTF-8 (or Central European Windows ).

If "őűŐŰ" is changed into ? mark, then somewhere the character encoding
is turned over to the default  ISO-8859-1.

I have looked for this turning over point in the PDF system also, but
did not find.

Interesting that this issue was experienced on the fresh installed
5.3.0, in the migrated 5.3.0 from 5.2.1 and in the 5.2.1 also.

Easy to repeat this bug:
In a sample instance of vtiger 5.3.0 (with sample data) enough to change
the first product name to the string containing:  öüóőúéáűíÖÜÓŐÚÉÁŰÍ

After creating a PDF invoice using this product name (with
öüóőúéáűíÖÜÓŐÚÉÁŰÍ ) you will see ? mark instead of "őűŐŰ"

Somebody has any idea how to correct it?

regards:

--

Holbok István
telefon: +3670-342-0900