[Vtigercrm-developers] Write addons / modules

Gregory Machin greg at ct-net.org
Mon Feb 25 06:03:21 PST 2008

Hi
Yes I agree with the fact that tight rules need to be applied to the
coding and implementation of modules.
Some suggestions from my corner ...

1 ) a plug in must never alter the default database structure of the
vtiger install
       it may add new tables etc , even a new database but not alter the
exisiting
       tables / column structure. thus making for and easier recovery if
a module beaks ..

2 ) there need to be a central point of entry for the plugins ie so that
they have access to the vtiger api
     with out altering the base install. thus avoiding the breaking
vtiger ..

3 ) core data integrity takes higher priority over of any plug in .. ie
you must be able do a fresh install
       an restore and exisiting database with out the forced need to
reinstall the plugins ... ie in an
        emergency recovery you can get the client back to a point where
they can work, then start restoring
        plugins etc.

4 ) The core data must never be dependant on the plugin's presence ..

5 ) would it be possible to build in support of mysql's stored
procedures and trigger ?

As you can see I've had my issues with applications that crash and
having to spend hours/days getting back to a point where the client can
work ..

Off topic ... my 10c worth ...
Just wandering how much of Vtiger could be moved into mysql stored
procedures and functions, surely this could boost performance one large
installs ?

Gregory Machin

greg at ct-net.org
phone : +27 12 379 93497