[Vtigercrm-developers] vTiger on MSSQL - 99% complete.

Sreenivas Kanumuru svk at vtiger.com
Mon Sep 24 18:52:57 PDT 2007

David,

Thanks for the input.

Our goal, w.r.t the community, is three fold:
1. Deliver a CRM platform that addresses the core CRM functions well and is easily extensible to add new features/modules.
2. Provide the right tools (forge, Application portal for users, forums, documentation..) to encourage community participation and interaction.
3. Engage with the community

On the product front, in 6.0 release, we hope to make big strides in making the product modular and extensible.

More immediately though, we hope to make some improvements on the tools front. In the next 4-6 weeks, we are considering a website revision  to address the following areas:

Documentation:Make it easy for users to find documentation
Community participation in creating documentation
Community Events:Make it easy for members to organize and promote local community events (user group meetings)

We are also considering moving from gForge to gForge Advanced Server for the vtiger forge. (more on this in a separate post)

Regards,
Sreenivas

----On Mon, 24 Sep 2007  David fire <aresolimpico at gmail.com> wrote ----

                                                                                    hi
we are a lot working on vtiger... maybe the biggest problem is the dificulty to add any new function....
and the lack of responce from main developers...
maybe we should ask them what thay want to do...

i think vtiger has a very good potential if we change the actitude.
we can make some work groups:

-documentation
-features review
-developers (add members)
-documentation!!!!

if the project go larger will be a lot of job, many enterprise will ask for paid support and others will ask special developments...

thanks
David

2007/9/24, Graham Miller <graham901 at webenhanced.com.au>:Joe Bordes wrote:
> This email should be a call of attention.

Totally agree. And timing is probably getting critical. There are many commercial entities now
considering investing in open source development but they need to know the project is going to
be there for the long haul.

> If your goal is to be "The most popular CRM" you need this development
> list to be VERY active and have the community adopting your application
> for the solution to their problems.

We will be rebuilding a large proprietary on-line financial planning application into a CRM as
the base platform for user logins, profiles, contact history etc etc. The client is willing to
invest in open source software and we will probably want some extra programming resources to
hire along the way that already know the CRM app really well.

We evaluated the market of open source offerings and found sugar/vtiger to be the best. Noting
the sugarCRM license requirements and our need to totally re-brand the application, we decided
that the apparently real open source alternative (namely vtiger) was the right platform and have
been watching the list for signs of an active community. So far we have not seen any activity to
justify us spending large amounts of time and money further developing vtiger.

We wait in hope. But that hope is, unfortunately, fading.

Graham Miller
Technical Director

For great web site hosting, back end web server programming (Perl, PHP and C), and open source
software installation and consulting. Choose WES.

Web Enhanced Solutions Pty Ltd
http://www.webenhanced.com.au

"Spam emails are the mosquitoes of the Internet -- numerous, annoying and often carrying nasty
viruses." - Senator Richard Alston.

Reach hundreds of potential candidates - http://jobs.vtiger.com