[Vtigercrm-developers] Changing to patch mode of release

Brian Devendorf developer at infointegrated.com
Fri Jan 19 05:31:36 PST 2007

Richie,

Patch releases may seem easier to manage, but they really become
quite a bit more difficult. You will have to manage issues of which
patches have been installed, or coming up with a mechanism to track
patches. Then if some patches are replaced by other patches, you may
need to come up with tools to revert the patches. From the support
side of things, you will need to keep track of these patches
independently. I think the problems are going to be very similar to
the ones you saw when releasing dot releases a month apart.

I understand that there are still many issues in vtiger that need
patching, updating, and fixing. I'm sure you are noticing that there
is a significant overhead to any type of release. What I mean by this
is that you don't just decide to release and hit your Easy button.
You've got testing, validation, documentation updates, staging,
packaging, and more.

Don't put more administrative work on your group than you need to. It
reduces the effort you spend actually fixing and improving the
product. And, it "cheapens" the product. When I see a product with
many patch releases, I think, it's too bad they don't have better
control of the quality of this product.

Brian