[Vtigercrm-developers] 5.0.1, 5.1 releases

don don at vtiger.com
Wed Sep 20 02:47:42 PDT 2006

Hi all,

Thanks for all your valuable feedbacks and suggestions.

>From looking into your inputs we also feel the maintaining a separate 5.1 branch is unnecessary and will be
cumbersome. So we will be doing the feature additions for 5.1 in the top of the trunk.

We will have only the 5.0.1 branch for bug fixing. All fixing done in this branch will also be merged in the top of th trunk.

Kindly let us know your opinions on this.

Thanks,
Don

---- On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 Jens Hamisch <jens at strawberry.com> wrote ----

Hi,

I've got some experience with large software development
projects which all had two things in common:

   * A hughe number of developers
   * At least more than one 'official' release handed over
     to customers.

Thus a version management was obligatory for all of those
projects. The systems used were varying from one project
to another: SCCS, RCS, CVS, ClearCase, ...

All of thoses systems had their pro's and con's. The common
things were the ability to branch, merge and tag versions.
In summary I've learned the following from all of those
projects:

    1.  Try to keep a single line of development
    2.  Branch if you *MUST*
    3.  Tag if you *CAN*

Tagging is helpfull to define 'milestones' during an ongoing
development (e.g. assignment of symbolic names for all
source files versions that form a well defined development
step).

Branching should either take place at the time when at least
2 major versions are out (e.g. delivered to customers) and
need o be maintained or if different requirements for the
product forces a split off of the development tree.

For vtiger I do not see any need to split the development tree
at the moment. However, the 5.0 is out and needs to be maintained
while the next version is being developed.

Therefor I'd strongly suggest to

   * Do bugfixing for the 5.0 version in the 5.0.1 branch
   * Keep the current development in the trunk line.

Kind regards
Jens

On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 12:25:02PM -0400, Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:
> Sergio A. Kessler wrote:
> > I think this is wrong.
> > I can understand (not agree) to create a 5.0.1 branch. but why you need
> > to create a 5.1 branch at all ??? 5.1 development should be done in the
> > trunk... branching 5.1 the only thing will do is complicate things...
> > remember KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid)
>
> I was going to complement Richie on the right branching naming, etc,
> procedure...
>
> The timing of branching is equally important, however, and I think it's
> too soon.
>
> We're going to have to decide (and document, and enforce) among the
> 'stable trunk' vs other development models.
>
> We need to decide where new features get developed, and under what
> conditions they get merged back to the 'trunk' or branch, as policy
> decides.
>
> Everyone discussing this should read:
>
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.branchmerge.using.html
>
> with 'copies are cheap in subversion' in mind. Branches are easy, and the
> numerous variety of branches (e.g for feature development) should be
> short-lived (e.g. merge back to trunk or branch, then delete/move branch).
>
> Maintaining multiple long-lived branches is labor intensive, and might
> only be undertaken to support long-term maintenance goals, on branches
> that rarely want to merge changes from 'upstream'.

> Get started with creating presentations online - http://zohoshow.com?vt

     /
 +##+|##+   STRAWBERRY                     Jens Hamisch
+v#+v v##+  EDV-Systeme GmbH               Managing director
/ v    v\v
| . .  . |  Waldeckstr. 9a                 Car (Voice):  (+49 172) 81 04 162
|     .  |  D-82515 Wolfratshausen         Voice:        (+49 8171) 41805-0
 | .     |                                 Fax:          (+49 8171) 41805-59
 \   .  /   Tel.: (+49 8171) 41805-0       Email:        jens at Strawberry.COM
  \____/    Strawberry at Strawberry.COM