[Vtigercrm-developers] next release - 5.0.1 or 5.1?

Brian Devendorf developer at infointegrated.com
Mon Sep 4 08:07:07 PDT 2006

The way I envision it, once 5.0.0 is released, you create a 5.0
branch. Any bug fixes are applied to the branch and the trunk. New
features are only applied to the trunk. Most likely, I would expect
5.0.1 to come first, as a released product is going to receive more
testing and feedback than a pre-release. This release would likely
come out between 1 and 3 months after product release. This would be
dependent on the quantity and severity of the fixes that are found in
5.0.0.

Regardless, v5.0.0 should be maintained for a set period of time
(perhaps 18 months) minimum. This ensures that companies do not need
to accept new features to stay current with security and bug fixes. A
5.1 release should be a minimum of 6 months out. Too many releases
create a nightmare for support, and make the product appear to be
less stable to the companies.