[Vtigercrm-developers] postgres support in v5

Allan Bush allan.bush+vtiger_dev at gmail.com
Wed May 3 10:55:53 PDT 2006

Filling in the gaps.

On 5/3/06, Joel Rydbeck <Joel.Rydbeck at nubrek.com> wrote:
> Richie,
>
> I'll let Allan and Jeff fill in the gaps.
>
> a) How do we give the user the option of using PostGres while installation?
>
> This would be at installation point, we'll provide it in the dropdown on step 1 or step 2 (whichever one the user configures the db in).  I started working on this one last night.
>
> b) What will be the impact if any on the mysql compatible queries that we have now? Will the current queries be changed?

The current queries will be changed, the changes should have no effect
on the mysql compatibility.  I didn't encounter any mysql regression
bugs doing the changes for 4.2 and I don't expect any for 5.0.

> c) If the current queries are changed as such they may affect the core team's development. Are we going to go on putting an IF check for PostGres?
>
> I would expect that the same queries will work for both databases, in the case of incompatible queries, my vote would be an if/else for the short term.  Long-term, ADODB provides some healthy extensibility and abstraction of the db layer.  My vote is that we get PGSQL support in now, and then polish with ADODB as we go along.
>
> d) How are we going to handle simultaneous development on the core code? How to handle breakages if any?
>
> Allan will likely be doing the bulk of the commits, so I'll let him address this.  My commits will likely be isolated to one page at a time.  If you guys are able to validate our work in MySQL as we go along, that would be very helpful.  I'll try to test it at the same time (good ol' config.php swap).

The same way you currently handle simultaneous development between the
multiple contributers.  I don't anticipate much breakage, the largest
changeset will probably be done in one commit during the first day I
work on this to get the installer working for both database types.  As
I work pretty much opposite hours from the rest of the team conflicts
should be rare.

> Thank you for your support and assistance in performing this.
>
> Regards,
>
> - Joel

I just want to bring one point up which may ease you mind a little.

SQL is a standard much like HTML.  MySQL is like the IE of databases
well Postgres is closer to a Firefox, in the sense that MySQL will
make the best of any crap you send it well Postgres follows the
standards more closely.  So what I'm going to be doing is basically
standardizing the SQL, and unlike IE MySQL supports the standards
properly (well it's laking several features and just ignores some
stuff but since I'm not adding anything that won't be a problem).

Allan