[Vtigercrm-developers] postgres support in v5

Joel Rydbeck Joel.Rydbeck at nubrek.com
Wed May 3 07:32:15 PDT 2006

Richie,

I'll let Allan and Jeff fill in the gaps.

a) How do we give the user the option of using PostGres while installation?

This would be at installation point, we'll provide it in the dropdown on step 1 or step 2 (whichever one the user configures the db in).  I started working on this one last night.

b) What will be the impact if any on the mysql compatible queries that we have now? Will the current queries be changed?  &

c) If the current queries are changed as such they may affect the core team's development. Are we going to go on putting an IF check for PostGres?

I would expect that the same queries will work for both databases, in the case of incompatible queries, my vote would be an if/else for the short term.  Long-term, ADODB provides some healthy extensibility and abstraction of the db layer.  My vote is that we get PGSQL support in now, and then polish with ADODB as we go along.

d) How are we going to handle simultaneous development on the core code? How to handle breakages if any?

Allan will likely be doing the bulk of the commits, so I'll let him address this.  My commits will likely be isolated to one page at a time.  If you guys are able to validate our work in MySQL as we go along, that would be very helpful.  I'll try to test it at the same time (good ol' config.php swap).

Thank you for your support and assistance in performing this.

Regards,

- Joel

________________________________

Can anyone fill me in on what is going to be the approach for this please?

I am listing out the queries that I have. Kindly do respond to them please.

a)how do we give the user the option of using PostGres while installation?
b) What will be the impact if any on the mysql compatible queries that we have now? Will the current queries be changed?
c) If the current queries are changed as such they may affect the core team's development. Are we going to go on putting an IF check for PostGres?
d) How are we going to handle simultaneous development on the core code? How to handle breakages if any?

Please note, the core team has never worked on PostGres before hence the queries. I am open to learning.

Richie

---- Joel Rydbeck<Joel.Rydbeck at nubrek.com> wrote ----

	Allan,

	It looks like you're going solo on the front end of this. I'm guessing this relegates Jeff and I to testing. Once you're ready I'll do a quick pass on testing and can open PostgreSQL bugs. I'm guessing the vTiger team will signal us if they find any MySQL bugs.

	Let me know how you want bugs filed.

	Regards,

	- Joel