[Vtigercrm-developers] Very important question about JpGraph

Marcin Antczak marcin.antczak at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 10:47:10 PST 2006

On 3/4/06, Fathi BOUDRA <fboudra at free.fr> wrote:

> but there's also "non-commercial" term. We can see on jpgrah website:
> http://www.aditus.nu/jpgraph/proversion.php
> "if you plan on using JpGraph in a commercial context you will need to
> acquire
> the professional license. Commercial use is for example if you use JpGraph
> on
> a site to provide a service for paying customers or for example if you are
> using JpGraph in an intranet to provide support for internal business
> processes, i.e. in benefit for a commercial company.
> In short, if you use JpGraph where you have an economic advantage (either
> through paying customers or improving internal business processes) this
> most
> likely falls under commercial use."
>
> with this statements, my interpretation is:
> we use jpgraph QPL licensed in vtigercrm, an open-source product. We don't
> sell the product ("open-source" term related)but some people sell services
> around it("non-commercial" term related). They use jpgraph in an "economic
> advantage" and need professional license.

And this is the problem.

Because I agree:

- you don't sell vtiger so you can use jpgraph since you don't gain any
incomes

- you can also distribute jpgraph but then problem is that you don't know
how other use vtiger

- if they use vtiger 'non-commercial' then everything is ok
  (for example open source developers, private users... )

- but as we all know - vtiger is open source product targeted for business
users, so they:

"In short, if you use JpGraph where you have an economic advantage (either
through paying customers or improving ___internal___ business processes)
this most
likely falls under commercial use."

So although you can distribute jpgraph, you can use this as open source
developer etc. then other _business_ users violate JpGraph license and
should buy 'JpGraph professional' license or - remove/disable this library
in vtiger - or downgrade library that is bundled with vtiger to 1.5.2 as
Fathi said.

Marcin