[Vtigercrm-developers] should we update to latest version of adodb?

Gopal gopals at vtiger.com
Mon Jun 19 02:15:31 PDT 2006

Hi Jeff,

I have posted third party packages document at Wiki, under For Developers section:

http://www.vtiger.com/wiki/index.php/Third_Party_Software

Please let me know, once below listed packages are updated, so that I can update the master document.

Regards,
Gopal

---------------------------------------
S.S.G.GopalFunction isSkypeInstalled()on error resume nextSet oSkype = CreateObject("Skype.Detection")isSkypeInstalled = IsObject(oSkype)Set oSkype = nothingEnd Function

Toll Free: +1 877 788 4437
Blog: http://gopal.vtiger.com

----richie at vtiger.com wrote ----

Gopal, please do the needful.

Richie

---- Jeff Kowalczyk<jtk at yahoo.com> wrote ----

Richie wrote:
> Is anyone interested in owning up watching updates to third party
> softwares?

I'll continue to watch and post tickets, eventually merge in
snapshots, this is an interest area for me anyway. I only monitor adodb at
the moment, but given a centralized list of dependencies, I can scout
updates to other libraries as well.

> How to handle third-party updates?

Lets move Gopal's table of external dependencies into a plain text file in
the repository, treat it as a piece of documentation. Keep it simple and
consistent for interested parties to process with packaging or
update-watching scripts.

DEPENDENCIES.TXT:

adodb-4.90 http://prdownloads.sf.net/adodb/adodb490.tgz adodb/
log4php-0.9 http://www.vxr.it/log4php/log4php-0.9.tar.gz log4php/
Image_Graph-0.7.2 http://pear.php.net/get/Image_Graph-0.7.2.tgz Image/

And so on. Make an external entry for every single thing that isn't
copyright vtiger or community.

> Earlier too, there was discussion of not bundling third party products
> with vtiger. How to proceed?

I can see the ease of use argument for keeping the necessary dependencies
snapshotted in the repository.

When we start getting picked up by various linux distro packaging, there
will be some demand for a version stripped without the snapshots that will
work identically, provided the distro package satisfies all the listed
dependencies.

Looking far ahead, my preference would be for vtigercrm-x.y.z.tar.gz to
eventually contain zero bundled dependencies. A separate companion
vtigercrm-dependencies-x.y.z.tar.gz could be provided, which the user
could untar somewhere on the PHP path to achieve a working vtigercrm
installation.

Free web-based spreadsheet application from Zoho. Create and share spreadsheets online using Zoho Sheet - http://zohosheet.com?vt