[Vtigercrm-developers] daily tests

Jeff Kowalczyk jtk at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 15 13:09:28 PDT 2006

Matthew Brichacek wrote:
> My idea for the update script so far is to use a shell script to back up
> the current uploads and other things that aren't stored in the DB,
> delete and recreate the DB, then fire off a php script that will build
> the db from the xml schema.  We could also snapshot some of the settings
> in the system but that adds a level of complexity.

Why not install a subversion post-commit hook to run 'svn export' or
'svn update' into the demo directory?

We already have at least one such hook installed for the trac ticket
integration with checkin messages.

We need to continue to refine our svn ignores and also omit config.inc.php
from the repository. config.inc.php should be handled by the installer to:

a) create config.inc.php if non-existent (e.g. first use)

b) config.inc.php use values as installer defaults if exists (e.g.
reinstall/redeploy)

c) svn ignore config.inc.php on all commits and imports.

With the svn hook and proper handling of temp and config.inc.php, the test
installation can't be updated with each commit to the repository.

This would be the ideal setup to run a Selenium in-browser test suite
against.

There is an extraordinary tool called buildbot that runs such smoke tests
continually, but can be difficult to set up. If we run the tests often on
a volunteer basis, it will be a big help.