[Vtigercrm-developers] how to make vtiger more community oriented?

Jeff Kowalczyk jtk at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 14 08:48:58 PDT 2006

I'd like to make sure that the factors driving vtiger teams's decisions
are out in the open for the community's comment.

Sometimes there are big unannounced codebase changes, or dubious change
from alpha to beta status, etc. I'm sure I'm not alone in wondering how we
got from point A to point B sometimes. I'd like to think it's not some
dread meeting with impatient VCs that dictates features, release dates,
version numbering, etc.

There are many viable models for managing open source development in a
complex application. I've been a big fan of how Plone does it. See their
next semi-annual release for examples worthy of emulation:

  http://plone.org/products/plone/releases/2.5

  - Features (PLIPs) proposed, vetted, implemented, merged. Persons owning
PLIP must maintain a branch for their PLIP.

  - Releases scheduled (6 months), PLIPs proposed, dropped if not finished
on time.

  - Prerelease version and maturity policies rigorously followed, live
migration from any (pre)release version forward is guaranteed.

We don't have to get too formal about it. A trac ticket is enough for an
improvement proposal (VTIP?), but I'd like to see everyone using trac to
the maximum benefit, expecially on their checkin messages.

IMO, We should adopt some of Plone's successful guidelines, and adapt the
parameters to our needs and vtigercrm's current maturity. I'd suggest
perhaps two 3-month timed releases, then move to a 6 month cycle in 2007.