[Vtigercrm-developers] activities vs calendar

Andrew Rodes arodes at onweald.com
Wed Jun 14 07:27:45 PDT 2006

So would calendar events replace them? There is allot of potential in the
activity concept when it comes to automated marketing programs, activity
plans ( templates of sets of activities an organization can create to handle
certain regular situations like an initial sales visit follow-up plan for
example).

With regards to marketing, activity plans can be associated with a marketing
campaign listing steps needed to get the marketing campaign launched. A good
example is a tradeshow event where there is a lot of prep work involved.

Also, activities can be used as work events ... anything that happened, or
needs to happen for a given major entity to reach a next state. For example,
activities can be associated to Trouble Tickets to record the work items
that reps took to work a ticket (for internal review and historical
purposes). Also, Activities can be associated to Orders to track the work
items that took place to fulfill an order. They are much more then just
calendar events imho.

Granted, I worked for Siebel for 4 years, so I'm basing allot on how their
activities work, but in Siebel they are very popular, and one of the
simplest concepts that users could get their heads around. I think
"generisizing" them into calendar events sounds great from a developers
perspective but perhaps users will miss the activity concept, and it will
limit future use of the module in associating activities with other
entities.

Just a few thoughts ..I'm not s major contributor to the community so I will
defer to the others, of course, but I think a distinct activity module is a
basic component of any CRM software.

Andy Rodes
www.onweald.com