[Vtigercrm-developers] Can we release 4.2.4 already?

Allan Bush allan.bush+vtiger_dev at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 08:59:11 PDT 2006

I agree this release is long overdue, it would have been out a lot
longer if Mike had not disappeared or if he had a lest told us he was
going to disappear (nothing against Mike we just need a better system
of communication).

However you can't be serious about not releasing it.  This is how real
software projects work, you continue to support old versions after
newer ones have been release (let alone just entered "Beta").  For
example firefox just released 2.0 alpha 3 and 1.5.0.4 a couple days
after (and the firefox alpha is much more stable and easier to upgrade
to then the vtiger beta) and I bet a 1.0.9 is in the works should the
need arise.  Heck even Microsoft still releases patches for Windows
2000.

Further more I'm probably not the only one that considers vtiger 5.0
and 4.2 to be nearly different produces, they look and act very
different and the code bases are pretty much incapable.  Some users
will be very reluctant to upgrade as they'll need to retrain all their
staff and their customizations will be lost.  For these people the
continuation of the 4.2 branch is welcomed.

>From a technical standpoint the good news is that 4.2.3 and 4.2.4 use
accentually the same database so upgrade support from either should be
the same script.  On that point I have an idea to make supporting
upgrading from any release much easier, which I going to test out on
the 4.2.5 branch which I plan to release some time in the future (I
have no set resources as I can't give a firm date) which may be after
the 5.0 release.  At that point if there is still issues with the 4.2
branch will we work on 4.2.6.

So yes I do feel it is pertinent.

Allan