[Vtigercrm-developers] Calling all private 4.x development owners

Nolan Andres nolan at peaceworks.ca
Fri Jul 14 10:44:55 PDT 2006

As one of the mentioned 4.2 developers mostly lurking on this list...

Like others have mentioned, I've got 2 classes of modifications:

1. those _I think_ others may be interested in
2. those _I think_ others will not be interested in

What I want to know is...is what _I think_ in any way connected with
reality?

More to the point...

How do I know whether or not I *should* submit a given patch to the
current tree for 4.2.5? In my previous (though admittedly minimal)
exploration, I got the sense that 4.2.x was essentially "feature frozen"
and that bug/security fixes and deployment/installation/maintenance
stuff were fair game.

For myself (and others like me), is 4.2 open for new features? If so,
should we just continue to take it on ourselves to self-select those
things _we think_ are more universal in nature? Should we try the
shotgun approach (submit everything to 'Code Contributions' and see what
gets picked up)? Is there a "proper place" to provide a list of changes
we've made and give others the opportunity to speak for/against
including them (or give a 'vTiger Linus' the opportunity to
accept/reject them)?

I think once I have a clear idea of how best to contribute, particularly
to 4.2, I'll be more able to do so effectively.

By the way, I think Matt's v5 architecture ideas are great, but they do
muddy the waters for me a bit. Seeing those ideas, I have hope that
something along those lines may be implemented, but it also makes me
question *when* the right time will be to port some of my changes and
additions to v5...I'd rather just do it once.

peace,
nokes