[Vtigercrm-developers] An Impassioned Plea from an VTiger Integrator

Richie richie at vtiger.com
Thu Jul 13 01:44:36 PDT 2006

I am game for it . Any takers?
What is the procedure and how do we guarantee that there are no breakages?

Richie

---- Jeff Kowalczyk<jtk at yahoo.com> wrote ----

  Dennis Grant wrote:
> I don't want to get all programmer grammer nazi here

Programmer grammar Nazi. ;)

I think many of us who are working on the periphery with vtigercrm have
pet peeves about the formatted representation of the source code. Those
pet peeves confer a certain squeal point for making a comment about it
(no pun) and another, higher, one for doing something about it on our own.

The interval between squeal points is where we've been circling for
months. No few persons (rightly) want to clean up a fraction of the code
when new checkins aren't guaranteed follow the same standards.

And so, the technical debt incurred by the fixable problem of poor source
formatting (including commentless code) continues to impose costs on
vtigercrm development.

Further, if we fix this before major vtigercrm-5.x branching, we reap
major merging benefits. If only after, we get zero backporting crosstalk
between branches, like we have with vtigercrm/branches/4.2 and
vtigercrm/trunk.

Fundable Fixes
--------------

What about setting up a fundable.org project for sponsoring source
cleanup? We who are interested in seeing the code beautified could assign
a monetary value to that interest.

Enough support would collectively make it worth the core team's while to
stop coding for a few days, and clean up the broken windows of the source
formatting.

Volunteers would of course augment their efforts at the same time, and
going forward, friendly admonishment could be leveled upon lazy checkins
with poorly formatted source.

http://fundable.org/
(example)
http://www.fundable.org/groupactions/ploneboard-phase-one/view?searchterm=plone