[Vtigercrm-developers] vtigerforge

Fathi Boudra fboudra at free.fr
Thu Jan 26 06:17:47 PST 2006

first of all, my mail isn't a flame war.

> vtigerforge was installed by mike crowe,
> mike is a volunteer member of vtiger (ie. he does things in *their* spare
> time)

like all of us.

> so we cannot tell him what to do or what not to do, we can have
> different opinions on what is better (I also would have prefered
> gforge), but whoever finally does the job is who pick the choices...

i understand what mike have done and want to give my advice as anyone. i want
a constructive discussion.

we cannot tell what to do or what not to do ? i don't really understand why.
ATM, it's like anarchy, each person works in his corner, it's a problem.
We need someone (richie, gopal, ...) to tell us what we are doing, where we
go, communicate.

> so maybe (and just maybe, it depends on mike) we have time to consider
> gforge, but for the consideration to be valid you have to offer a
> solid help proposal...
>
> are you willing to install, setup and *mantain* a gforge system for vtiger
> ?

i didn't come to say, throw away current solution. i just say : is there a
possibillity for discussion about vtigerforge ?

if there's a place for discussion, i'll do a solid proposal.
if you wait for a "i can install, setup and maintain a gforge system",
you have it.

> just telling mike "use gforge!", IMO, will not work ...

you probably misunderstand my message.

while i'm writing this mail, mike connected :)
so here is the consensus :

first, do you really want a vtigerforge ? and if the answer is yes, do we need
a system like gforge or just a system like novellforge, sufficient for the
amount of projects to be hosted.

waiting for your answers :)

another issue, the most important, is vtiger hosting platform didn't have
postgresql. Without postgresql we can drop gforge idea. To resolve this
issue, we need the agreement from the interested ones.

second,

a) we (mike and me) want to push for subversion as our version control system.
b) mike is ok for an investigation on gforge issue, but we can't drop
novellforge like this.

the roadmap :
1) implement subversion for vtigerforge
2) setup gforge on local test platform
3) when ready try to push on vtiger hosting

if we are fast enough, we drop first issue.

cheers,

Fathi