[Vtigercrm-developers] Invitation : Tabs & Modules Grouping

Brian Devendorf developer at infointegrated.com
Sun Jan 22 13:23:47 PST 2006

I took this concept and decided to design my ideal CRM application. A
couple of ideas for existing modules first:
Mail: Currently, Webmail is personal mail, and Mail is CRM mail. CRM
mail should support two separate mail accounts: sales & support.
These accounts would be setup separately and viewed separately. Email
should be the current webmail with send functionality very similar to
the current implementation.
Contacts: There should be filtering support based on a few criteria.
Public contact (meaning public to the company), personal (to the
individual), and employee (to maintain an enterprise directory).
Notes: Should support categories including personal notes for each
individual on the system.
Tabs: Should be fully configurable as to which modules appear under
which tabs, though I have a default recommendation from my "card-sort".
Home: The items that appear on the default page should be
configurable by the individuals... this is likely a lot of extra
work, but should be a future feature.
Overall GUI: The system already is designed with two levels of menus.
This should be leveraged to provide every module necessary. Any
additional tabs or selectors should only be to change the data view,
or filter applied. The more items are buried, the harder they are to
find.

Initial results from Card Sort: My initial results had many items
under each tab (as they would be beneficial to everyone). After
thinking about it for a while, I came up with a new layout that I
thought better fit my ideas (mock-up below). It includes a new area
along the left column which is always visible with My Home items. As
these are likely the most frequently used by users.

The My Home area contains: Dashboard, Email, Calendar, Meetings,
Calls, To Do, Contacts, and Notes.
The tabs across the top would be: Sales, Support, Marketing, Reports,
Inventory, and Settings (for admin).
Sales: Accounts, Pricebooks, Quotes, Sales Order, Purchase Order,
Invoice
Support: Help Desk, FAQ, Products, Accounts, Support Email
Marketing: Leads, Potentials, Accounts, Pricebooks, Quotes, Sales Email
Reports: Dashboard, Reports
Inventory: Products, Vendors, Accounts, Sales Order

In the mock-up below, the Meetings, Calls, and To Do items could
easily be replaced with a single Activities item. Sometimes, though,
it is easier to have these items separated, as it is easier to
associate a phone call with Calls then it is as a Calls filter under
Activities. Also, Ideally there should be icons for the My Home items
to make them more easily identifiable.