[Vtigercrm-developers] Receiving data from outside sources

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at mikefedyk.com
Mon Feb 27 17:34:52 PST 2006

Dan Means wrote:

> It's important to remember -- we're not dealing with small quantities
> of data -- so while it might be nice to do a quick query via some sort
> of web interface, when you start moving thousands of rows at at time
> -- browser interfaces can't handle it reliably.

Dan,

We're looking for communication between systems.  The browser is not
anywhere in this picture.

You're saying it should be done at the database level.  I'm thinking of
a system for working with systems that are not under the one
administrative control.  I would not allow them access to my database,
but would allow them access over SOAP, REST or etc. based access.  See
what I'm talking about?

Let's try this example.  I have an auto-dialer (vicidial) that I want to
have communicate with vtiger.  It would pull the data, call it, and then
update the status.  I want it to use something standards based instead
of exporting a file from vtiger, copy to dialer, import, call, import
into vtiger (even automated that would be a hairy mess).

So I am not arguing with you about using sql for lots of records and a
browser wouldn't be able to handle it.  I'm thinking of a system closer
to real-time response instead of batch processing.

Mike