[Vtigercrm-developers] Build a vTiger Bounty Team

Brian Laughlin brian at pr2k.com
Sat Feb 25 21:04:10 PST 2006

Jamie stated:

In theory that is how I see it working.   There are many things to clear
up.   Like:

a. What happens with the code then?
b. Who owns it?
c. What if it's something really helpful and should be in the core?
d. How do we justify a few people paying so all the others can sit back
and
reap the rewards without fronting any money?
e. What about a dispute?
f. What is the people that want the feature can't agree on exactly what
they
want?

On my opinion, for the above options, I would address a few things this
way:

a/b. I think it should be the property of the people that paid for it
until
the 2nd major release after it's finished

c/d.  If it's something that the core really needs, then I think it
should
be discussed with the people that bought it and see if they want to
release
it to the community right away.   If not, then it will be released to
the
community after the 2nd major release after the project was done.   That
way
it's a trickle effect, if someone wants something now, they pay for it,
if
not they can wait and get it in the future.

This way, people can't not ante up if they want something, because they
won't get it for a while, but on the other hand, the vTiger team would
benefit in later releases because this would add features that are
already
coded to future versions.

e. I think the vTiger team only should have final say.   They are
unbasised
and I know they will be fair.

f.  I think if we can't agree on the terms, then the bounty isn't
started,
finished.   Over time, maybe the minds of many can meet in the
middle....
until then nothing gets done.

This is how I see it, others may see it differently or have something to
add.

Also, I agree with mike in that I don't think we need a Team for this,
other
than the vTiger team.   I am sure all of us will pitch in and help out
however we can.   I think what Brian was thinking about was when we get
system in place <like scriptlance> other than the forums, we might need
people then to help run that system.

I have an will help the vTiger team with or without title.   My company
gives me enough hats to wear, I don't need another one.  :)

Jamie
-------------

Jamie, that was well thought out.  I personally would be a little more
liberal with making code available.  I think testing and feedback would
be great value that the community could reciprocate.  I guess it would
depend on who paid and the extend of the feature(s).  Still a very valid
point that needs to be worked out.

I think one point that I brought up can not be overlooked is that we
should also increase our developer pool.  Just because someone says that
they can do something doesn't mean that it will be done correctly or
that they are even good at it.

Poorly written code will cause a number of problems.  Also, I would
anticipate that the good and active coders may already be strapped.  So
people requesting features that are not in alignment with the
development path of these coders won't have a chance.

I disagree with the only team needed is the vTiger team.  I haven't seen
active discussion from the vTiger team about bounties.  They probably
have enough to do, plus it may come across as self serving.  With the
recent drama of SugarCRM settling, I could see caution being exercised
here.  I think it's healthy to have or appear to have some separation
from bounties if you're on the core team.

Re: Titles & Team.  Translate that to Credibility & People that will
stick to a process.  With a down load rate that exceeds 10,000 per month
we could anticipate an increase in community participation.  Jamie you
are an active poster.  But how does someone new know who Jamie is or
Brian or guest for that matter?  3 months from now when a lot of things
have been worked out how will anything said by you, for example have any
perceptive to a new user.  Well it won't.  Also, if you buy into growing
the developer pool of talent how would someone do that with little
credibility (i.e. advocated by the vTiger community)?  It would be very
hard.

As far as having people stick to a process (Team), I would like to know
if people I'm sorting issues out with are there for only their pet
projects or have a greater motivation to grow bounties into a
functioning system.  I personally am interested in both, but have a
growing commitment for the latter.  I would like to be working with
others that may share that commitment.  The very least you can have are
clear expectations and interpret correctly when someone says, "I want to
help."

Thanks Jamie.  I really appreciate your views.

Brian Laughlin