[Vtigercrm-developers] 4.2.4 installer creates tables as MyISAM

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at mikefedyk.com
Fri Feb 24 20:02:13 PST 2006

Sergio A. Kessler wrote:

>On 2/23/06, Mike Fedyk <mfedyk at mikefedyk.com> wrote:
>

>>Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:
>>

>>>Is the use of InnoDB storage necessary for mysql operation, or was it just
>>>a performance-seeking choice?
>>>

>>Do you want transactions?
>>Do you want versioned updates like in postgres?
>>Do you want journaled writes?
>>Do you want foreign key constraints?
>>

>he, if I really want this, I just may use postgresql  :-)
>
>IMO depending on a very specific table type in mysql is a bug.
>even more when that specific table type is already planned to go
>deprecated in future versions
>(mysql AB has already hired people to develop the own storage engine
>with transaction support, now that InnoDB pertain to oracle)

We're not even supporting Mysql 5.0 right now.  Once InnoDB becomes
depreciated, we'll walk through that door when we get to it.

>>In fact, as far as licenses are concerned, Postgres is more vulnerable
>>to being bought by a commercial company than Mysql/InnoDB.  At least
>>with the GPL you know they can't make a non-public fork and distribute
>>it without also distributing the code.
>>

>two gross errors here:
>
>1) you can't buy postgresql, postgresql is a project, not a company.

Right, but you can make a proprietary fork at any time.  You don't need
to buy it in that case.

>2) if a company buys Mysql AB, they CAN fork a non-public version
>without the need for ditributing the code, because mysql is DUAL
>licensed (GPL and a normal comercial licence), and Mysql AB has all
>the copyrigths.
>(altough the old GPL version must remain in public, and could be
>mantained by the community)
>
>and when you own the copyrigths you can change the licence of future
>versions all the times you want (you can't change old released
>versions).
>(have you never seen GPL projects that went propietary ?)

At least they would have to put out the cash to buy Mysql AB instead of
just forking a proprietary copy at any time.

>>Postgres may blow Mysql away in feature support, but vulnerability to
>>being bought out is not one of Mysql's weak points.  Next.
>>

>yes, it is.
>it is worth discussing it ?, or should the vtiger project be worried
>about this ? I don't think so.

It takes more effort to take a GPL project and make it proprietary.
That is my point.  A community can support code released before being
made proprietary with copyleft and non-copyleft licenses alike.

I just like how the GPL makes that harder to turn code proprietary after
it has been released in the open.

Mike