[Vtigercrm-developers] Bad use of MySQL calls in modules/Settings/ComboFieldList.php

Jeff Kowalczyk jtk at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 5 04:58:21 PST 2006

Michel JACQUEMES wrote:
> Normally this post would go in a help or developer forum but this problem
> exists also in V5 and I think it has to be corrected.

This brings up a good point as we go forward with subversion repository. If you
have a bug that exists on many branches, you typically make a checkin for each
branch to which it applies, if the people working on that branch are ready for
it.

If the core team doesn't want Michel checking this fix in to vtigercrm/trunk
after he checks it in to vtigercrm/branches/4.2, then we need to have a
mechanism by which we know they'll apply it themselves later.

The answer in both cases is trac tickets. This should be a bug, and it will
have a number (eg. #426). The bug should be marked as applying to a particular
milestone (4.2.4). If Michel has commit access, the post_commmit_hook script
discussed will associate his comit message 'fixed #426' with the diff, and
close the bug.

If Michel is not a committer, he would post his patch in the bug attachments,
and the person checking it in would use the comit message 'fixed #426' to close
the bug.

Since track tickets currently only associate with one milestone, it is my
thinking that we'd want a separate bug for the the same problem still found on
the trunk, associated with the 5.0.0 milestone. This is a little extra work to
make the second ticket, but it gives better history of what has been fixed in a
given milestone. It's a tradeoff between an extra lightweight task (making a
ticket), and having a good history for that particular bug and section of code
in your existing stable product and your upcoming release(s).

The person fixing the second bug (on the trunk) would

 $ svn switch (authmethod)://vtigercrm/trunk

Then make the fix, check the diff

 $ svn update modules/Settings/ComboFieldList.php
 $ svn diff modules/Settings/ComboFieldList.php

And commit to trunk

 $ svn commit modules/Settings/ComboFieldList.php -m 'fixed #522, refs #426'

Finding a bug in two branches (e.g. trunk and a branch), is a quality issue
that will hopefully become less common after a few months of trac and
subversion usage.