[Vtigercrm-developers] Trees in SVN (Was: SVN access)

Jeff Kowalczyk jtk at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 4 07:17:31 PST 2006

(sorry, this reply is going to arrive out of thread)

Mike Fedyk wrote:
> Then what does www.vtigerforge.com do then?
> devel.vtigerforge.com should be for the trees currently in development.
> Not the current stable release.

Just wanted to see if this was a commonly held expectation...

Development on vtigercrm/trunk, Maintenance on vtigercrm/branches/4.2

I thought the subversion repository and trac instance (whatever its final
domain name and physical host) is intended to be used for all vtiger-branded
development. This means any bits that vtiger-the-company will put their name on
and release.

I include stable, maintenance and pre- releases in that category, and they'll
all be found under vtigercrm/tags, starting with accurate recreations of
vtigercrm-4.2.3 and vtigercrm-5.0.0-alpha1 tags.

The branching and merging features of subversion are intended to be used within
a single repository. If maintenance branches and development trunk weren't in
the same repository, there wouldn't be much point in the exercise. It would be
a significant step back from where we were with CVS, actually.

Excerpted from "Getting svn checkouts, making commits"

5.0 development is happening on the trunk:
 svn co http://vtiger.fosslabs.com/svn/vtiger/vtigercrm/trunk vtigercrm

4.2.x maintenance is happening on a branch:
 svn co http://vtiger.fosslabs.com/svn/vtiger/vtigercrm/branches/4.2 vtigercrm

Forge in separate repository
----------------------------

A second subversion repository would be made available on the same host for
third-party projects related to vtiger. This can have looser requirements for
getting commit access, etc. Since trac is single-project-oriented, it is likely
that the (gforge) software will be better suited for the web-UI to that
repository.

Authenticated access == Go live date

I think that's where we're headed, right? When svn+ssh or https authenticated
access is opened, I presume the recent trunk checkins will be manually replayed
into this repository by the core devs, and then sourceforge CVS just goes dark,
as a matter of policy.

BTW, svn repositories can be moved to other machines easily (svn dump, svn load).