[Vtigercrm-developers] Is 4.x a mature version or?

Per Jessen per at computer.org
Fri Feb 3 06:17:04 PST 2006

Mike Crowe wrote:

> 2)  IMHO, *NO* CRM tool meets anybody's need out of the box.

Absolutely agree.

> 3)  As you evaluate the CRM tool you want to use, evaluate the
> community around the tool.  There are quite a few resources here
> available to you, should you choose to do it.  Many people on this
> list are resources you can use if you get into a bind.

Well, that was one of my initial issues - most of the user/developer
community seemed/seems to "live" in the webfora?  IMHO, that is a sign
of something not quite mature.  (not in the people, in the project).
Maybe this is a personal thing, but no OSS I've ever worked with or
contributed to used a webforum as the primary means of supporting the
community.

> 4)  Regarding the bug database, no argument.  However, my impression
> is most of the users of the forums and mailing lists are working
> despite these "bugs".  For me, my only bugs have been self-created
> bugs.  Again, a little digging in the forums will probably yield
> solutions to most of these issues.

That last sentence is worrying, TBH.  It just does not give me a very
warm and fuzzy feeling :-(

Was bugzilla ever suggested for bug management?

> 5)  Overall, the core vtiger team is a great bunch of guys doing their
> best to build vtiger into a fantastic product.

I have no doubts about that - I'm just trying to get a grip on how much
effort we should expect to take on.  Customization yes, but it's the
poor bug/patch management that seems to be a significant unknown.

> Hope this helps!
> Mike

Thanks Mike, it does.

/Per Jessen, Zürich