[Vtigercrm-developers] SVN access

Matthew Brichacek mmbrich at fosslabs.com
Fri Feb 3 00:42:52 PST 2006

> svn and trac are being handled by you.
And jeffk, he seems to have more knowledge in svn management than me so
we should ping him on things until we are all as comfortable.

> gforge by Fathi
Yes, I've contacted him off-list to find out what shell permissions he
needs and anything else I can help him with.

> Mike too has a forge.
I was under the impression that we would turn off mikes forge when
gforge was up.

> What to do with it and who is handling that stuff?

I'll keep an eye on the forge/trac/svn happenings and make sure anything
is posted here to the list.

> Now, we are working on porting the cvs stuff to svn.
> That would basically mean that we stop cvs cins into sf.net totally
> effective immediately.
This would be great!  The whole project can reap the benefits of
subversion/trac if you abandon SF for now.  Maybe re-visit SF after
subversion is in wider use with their system, provided developers aren't
madly in love with Trac by then.

> I get the bigger picture but have no implementation
> knowledge. Willing to learn. Guidance needed.
No problem.  Start with the svn book that jeffk posted.  Subversion is
very easy to work with and once you've figured out your most used
commands you'll be amazed at how smooth it is (I was).
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/index.html

Maybe jeffk or someone else can give us an IRC demo of how to branch and
merge in a way that would be most beneficial to the developers.

I have http check outs and http authenticated maintenance enabled for
subversion.  I'll work on https after we get the user->branch mapping
done.  What I need from you is a list of current users on the SF CVS
tree and what branches they are allowed to access.  I will re-create
this in svn and then we can let everyone loose.

Still to be done:
A password changing page for users of trac/svn to be able to change
their passwords.  I can build this or anyone else can, it's just an
htpasswd file.  Https access for developer check-ins to the system.
Gforge installation, I am in contact with Fathi off-list to gather his
requirements.

Install xchat (windows or linux) and point it to
vtiger.fosslabs.com:6667 and '/join #devel'.  You can use this to
communicate with the entire team in real time and this way you can open
those hallway meetings up to the rest of us.  We can work on a logging
and publishing scheme so the data is archived and available for
reference later.  This is a very handy tool, user coaching, IRC demos
and other things can happen in here that are great for reference later
and may get lost in a large mailing list.  I cruise the linux-vserver
IRC logs all the time.  They have a few developers on there that mentor
other devs on kernel stuff and its a great place to pick up these
conversions exactly the way they happened, off the cuff remarks and
all :).

Matt