[Vtigercrm-developers] Bugs found in install of version 5

Tim Smith smith.timsmith at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 22:06:01 PDT 2006

The following bugs were found while installing vtiger 5 rc that I downloaded
today.

System: Ubuntu 6.06, Mysql 5.0.22, php 5.1.2, vtiger5.0.0-rc-source.tar.gz

Problem 1: Error message links to non-existent SugarCRM documentation.

If you do not have the gd library installed, the error message says "Check
out our online documentation for tips on enabling this library." with a link
to non-existent SugarCRM docs on sourceforge.

Problem 2: No check to see if cache/import is writable

The install wizard checks if the cache folder is writable but it doesn't
check cache/import.

I extracted the vtiger source while logged in as root.  I then tried to
install vtiger and used chown only what it told me it could not access.  So
I used "chown root:www-data cache" but did nothing with cache/import.  This
check should be added or an error occurs when the user tries to import a csv
file.

Problem 3: Recommended settings do not include underscores

This is a simple fix.  During installation, most of the Recommended Settings
shown by the install wizard do not include the underscore.  When a novice
searches for "Max Execution Time" in php.ini, they will not find it.  For
example "Max Execution Time" should be "max_execution_time".

Problem 4: Contact sample data is too big

Creating a new database populated with sample data failed.  The sample
contact data won't fit in an array.  See:
modules/Contacts/contactSeedData.php  I removed about 10K lines and the
install worked.  However, if the php memory settings were set at the
recommended levels then I expect even this to fail.

Problem 5: Error ignored renaming install.php and install folder

If a failure occurs renaming the install.php file and install folder then
the system still reports it succeeded.  I tested with the minimal rights
granted.  e.g. All files are readable but no other rights are granted except
for what is reported in the installation check.

The user should be warned that the rename failed and that their system is
not secure until they remove the install files.

Regards,
Tim