[Vtigercrm-developers] Bug with german "Umlaut" in Contact or Company-Names

Alexander Gabriel alexander.gabriel at digital-infinity.de
Wed Jan 19 13:56:56 PST 2011

Hello István,


Thank you for that quick reply. I didn’t expect to get an answer today :-)


I payed attention to the charset enconding during installation.

The default charset ist utf8_general_ci and all tables are in that charset,

I used vtiger_CRM_Database_UTF8Config.pdf from the vtiger-homepage.

I checked it again after reading your mail and everything looks good.


The problem is not that all ‘strange characters’ are displayed wrong.

They displayed correctly everywhere in vtiger but in the moment when I
select a person from the list which has a special character in its name it
is shown wrong until I save.

When I then save and look at the invoice again, it is correct. It just
doesn’t look nice until I save.

Please try it and I’m, sure you’ll see what I mean.

If you want, I can give you more screenshots with the complete workflow.

Maybe I did something wrong on some other place? Apache, php or

If you have any other ideas, please let me know and I will check my config.



Kind regards,

Alexander Gabriel






Dear Gabriel,


It is a typical error when charset encoding is not set correctly during 

the install. *_It is not a vtiger bug_*.


Please check first in the phpmyadmin the database charset. The default 

sql chartset is latin1_swedish_ci .

It is not too good if you would like to use all German Characters.


The best choice is utf8_general_ci (it will handle all öüóo"úéáu"í 

ÖÜÓO"ÚÉÁU"Í äÄ ß ? ? ? ? í Í s, t, r(  etc.  - even the all Central and 

East European characters )


1. You should reinstall all vtiger instance using the right utf8 sql 

database in the background.

2. If it need you should convert all language files for the German 

localization from iso-8859-1 to the utf8 (without boom). The Notepad++ 

program is very good for this purpose.

3. Use UTF-8 charset in importing - exporting data.


It works even for the Hungarian vtiger (and we have a little bit more 

strange characters then you) :-) .




Holbok István

telefon: +3670-342-0900

e-mail:  <http://lists.vtigercrm.com/mailman/listinfo/vtigercrm-developers>
holbok at gmail.com <mailto:
<http://lists.vtigercrm.com/mailman/listinfo/vtigercrm-developers> holbok at





Von: Alexander Gabriel [mailto:alexander.gabriel at digital-infinity.de] 
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 19. Januar 2011 21:42
An: 'vtigercrm-developers at lists.vtigercrm.com'
Betreff: Bug with german "Umlaut" in Contact or Company-Names




I’m new to vtiger and this is my first mail to this list.

I hope, this is the correct list for my mail J

I found a small Bug in vTiger an thought, you should know about it.


If you have a contact or a company-name with german special characters
(öäüÖÄÜß), they are not shown correctly after selecting a contact to add it
do an invoice for example (Screenshot1_Umlaut.png).


This is because the decode_html function is not aware of different charsets.

I think, it is with all special characters in other languages, too.


Here’s a patch for this problem.

After changing that line, the special characters are displayed correctly


Kind regards,

Alexander Gabriel

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.vtigercrm.com/pipermail/vtigercrm-developers/attachments/20110119/71df6f20/attachment-0002.html 
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: smime.p7s
Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
Size: 6958 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://lists.vtigercrm.com/pipermail/vtigercrm-developers/attachments/20110119/71df6f20/attachment-0002.bin 

More information about the vtigercrm-developers mailing list