[Vtigercrm-developers] Upgrade bug - 6.5.0 to 7.5.0

Steve Kenow skenow at rdspos.com
Fri May 19 03:06:14 GMT 2023

It could actually happen when starting at anything less than 7.3.0, from
what I can tell.

I've been cleaning up and getting ready for upgrading a 650 instance and
looking at what should be there and wasn't. One of the things I found
missing was the ability for each user to set a default landing page, which
was introduced in 7.3.0. My process is to have a clean install of the
target version, copy in the custom module files, disable all the custom
modules, and then point the new instance at the existing database. Then,
open up a browser and navigate to
/index.php?module=Migration&view=Index&mode=step1.

Everything appeared to go as desired, with the above notable exception.
Repeating these steps, I notice that the results page after the migration
is complete doesn't have any database upgrade results for 7.2.0 to 7.3.0.
Verified files, permissions, etc. Looking at /modules/MIgration/schema/, I
notice 73_to_740.php and 730_to_740.php, the former just including the
latter. This is where that feature should be added, among other things.

/modules/MIgration/models/Module.php includes both in the allowed migration
versions, which is what caused my problems. The migration gets to 7.2.0 and
the next version isn't 7.3, but 7.3.0. So, this step gets skipped. Removing
array('73' => '7.3') from the list and starting the migration over does
successfully apply all the changes in that step.

This led me to look for any other differences in the database schemas of a
fresh 7.5.0 install and an instance upgraded to 7.5.0, other than custom
fields and modules. There are a lot more than I expected. Some appear to be
just cosmetic - like indexes having different names. In other places,
foreign keys are added and/or removed, data types are changed, there are
even some missing fields.

Performance and data integrity are critical to us - how can we improve them
both? Are there better options for migrating to newer versions? I'm willing
to test more and provide results and feedback, now that I've got a test
environment that can load a copy of our database and do a migration in
under an hour.

*Steve Kenow*
Retail Data Systems of Minnesota
End-User Services & Support Manager