[Vtigercrm-developers] no answer and no commits on code.vtiger.com since weeks?!

Mariusz Krzaczkowski | YetiForce S.A. m.krzaczkowski at yetiforce.com
Fri Jul 22 21:27:08 GMT 2022

Hello,
At the request of "Rubén Alberto Estrada Orozco" I am writing this
e-mail. This is just my point of view of the current situation.

> I've looked at YetiForce a couple of times (not massively in-depth) and
> to be honest if it had EmailMaker and PDFMaker (from Its4You team)

Our system has similar / alternative functionalities, I do not know if
they have 100% the same functionalities but fulfill the same functions.

> that we basically install it in all our new CRMs by default now. So to
> switch to something that doesn't have the same functionality is much
> harder to sell to clients. (even if behind the scenes its 10x better!)

We added them to the system because these are the basic mechanisms that
the system should have.

> Hmmm, hadn't seen that before - checking out the licence for the
> software says this :
> Data used for registration must be true. All provided registration
> information, including the company's name, can be used by YetiForce Sp.
> z o.o. (Ltd.) for marketing purposes | (i.e. preparation of statistics,
> publication on the website).
> Not sure how I feel about having to provide this information for
> open-source software.

Thanks to this, we can better understand which companies / countries /
industries use our system.
This helps us determine what to expand in the system first, and more.
It may be strange for some people, but this is something in return for
our work, we give a great system for free and we only want data that is
public anyway.
There is nothing confidential there.

> My main concern then becomes that we cannot guarantee that the software
> will work - ONLY if Yetiforce accept the registration, and what happens
> if the project gets abandoned? Can it be registered without Yetiforce
> servers??

Don't worry about this because:
- no registration does not block CRM
- our server is not obligatory for registration
- offline registration can be made when someone does not have Internet
on the server
- We do not plan to abandon the project, we invest a lot of money / time
in it, so why should we abandon it?
- currently the company has changed into a joint-stock company and we go
public, this is not what the company that wants to abandon the project
does
- from version 6.2 there is a new simplified license,
https://github.com/YetiForceCompany/YetiForceCRM/blob/developer/licenses/LicenseEN.txt
- Remember this Open Source together we can do more

> A good point could be to create a Community Contributed version of
> Vtiger. Something that stays true to the original version but accepts
> small independent contributions and bug support.

It will not work, I thought similarly a few years ago. Our system
started to be completely different from vtiger.
We had to make a lot of changes to make the system more efficient and
flexible.
What made it different from the original vtiger is a natural evolution.
Every developing system does it, otherwise it dies.

> My biggest fear is that if Composer support is not introduced soon, the
> software will neither be upgradeable nor usable at a professional
> level.

It was our first big step, this change was painful because it required
updating many libraries.
And some of them are not supported / developed / safe anymore, so we had
to replace them with newer ones.
This is proof that vtiger does not care about Open Source and security.
Any serious project uses the centralization of libraries otherwise it is
impossible to control them.
The development is so fast and there are so many changes in PHP and
libraries that it necessitates continuous development of the project.
Composer has been around since 2012 and we already have 2022, think
about it.

> For me Workflow Designer from Redoo networks is crucial.

We have a lot of new and improved mechanisms that work similarly or even
better than the "Workflow Designer".
I do not know what there is that is not with us, it would require a
careful comparison.

> This is what is needed - however I am realistic in that either the
> whole (or majority of) vTiger open-source community needs to migrate to
> a Community version OR it just becomes another fork.

There are many forks, vtiger is a fork too.
Many of them have died or are barely alive.
Without a strong / active community or someone who lives on the project,
there is no future.

> vTiger themselves clearly don't' want to implement the functionality
> that we're all asking for, as they have no business need to -
> ultimately they are selling their own vTiger version that doesn't
> have/need to e.g. use Composer unless they want it to.

We used to try to talk to the vtiger team to join forces and create a
strong / safe / modern design but they weren't interested, they don't
need anybody to help.
That's why we made a fork and we don't regret it, it was the best
decision.
If we had stayed with them we wouldn't have gotten as far as we are now,
they were limiting ours every step of the way by creating additions,
they didn't want help developing the engine to make it more flexible.

> So where does that leave us? Stuck between a rock and a hard place -
> no-one will migrate unless everyone else migrates...so who goes first?
> And then whose in charge of the new community version? Whoever setups a
> repo in GitHub first?
> The ideal solution in my eyes would be to have a body of people
> responsible for driving the direction of the project, who represent the
> community, and are responsible for managing the pull-requests etc.

Your decision, you can stay and wait for a better tomorrow or go ahead
and take the project into your own hands.

> I know there was an attempt to fork vtiger a few years back. Later it
> was decided to stay with vtiger open source. Because there were too
> many similar CRMs already in the market already including Yeti and
> suite. Anyway the Open Source progress is very slow.

It all depends on the society and the project manager, choose the best
one.
It is known that changes are painful at the beginning, you have to look
where we will be in a month / year / years, not one day.
If we thought so, we would stand still or even move backwards because
today the pace of technology development is enormous.
I remember vtiger 11 years ago, when I started working, they tried to
take care of open source development now it's gone.

> The infrastructure roadmap should be considered on the other side,
> which is seriously diverted to cloud at the moment.

Sad but true, and the same for years

> Developing a support system using modern stacks such as MERN or MEAN or
> using PHP frameworks such as Phalcon or Laravel becomes relatively
> easier  than forking and evolving  a monolithic. So we have to consider
> how to contribute to an open source project efficiently to meet the
> future.

Big words, requiring a lot of work, the question of who will do it,
there are few willing ...

> I suggest, separating the frontend and backend, similar to the Magento
> (Now Adobe commerce) PWA storefront, would be the best approach to
> migrate to modern platforms. Vtiger commercial may derive the benefits
> from this approach.

You can see that it does not matter for vtiger, they do not need it,
their cloud solutions require dedicated solutions and integrated with
their profit model.
I agree with you the separation of frontend and backend, only that it
requires changes of the entire architecture and no one sees business
bones in it.
This is expensive with an existing engine and an upgrade would be
painful.
Business sees it differently, unless you have generous sponsors.

_"Life is the Matrix - which pill do you choose?"_

--

Z poważaniem / Kind regards
Mariusz Krzaczkowski
+48 884 998 123 | m.krzaczkowski at yetiforce.com
www.yetiforce.com [5]

  		 [6]
  		 [7]
  		 [8]
  		 [9]
  		 [10]

The content of this message is confidential and must not be disclosed.
If the recipient of this message is not the intended recipient,
employee, or intermediary authorized to forward it to the intended
recipient, please note that all distribution, copying, or any other use
of this message is forbidden. If you received this message by mistake,
please inform the sender immediately by responding to this message, and
delete all copies of this message.

http://www.vtiger.com/
http://www.vtiger.com/
http://www.vtiger.com/

--

Ing. Francesco Bianco

Senior Software Engineer, CRM Solution Architect

   email: info.francescobianco at gmail.com

     pec: info.francescobianco at pec.it
    blog: https://medium.com/@yafb
    sito: https://italia.codecrm.org [11]

  social: https://linkedin.com/in/yafb

  mobile: +39 320 0466987
   p.iva: 02360350819

--
Ai sensi del D.L. n° 196 del 30/06/03 si precisa che le informazioni
contenute

   email: info.francescobianco at gmail.com

     pec: info.francescobianco at pec.it
    blog: https://medium.com/@yafb
    sito: https://italia.codecrm.org [11]

  social: https://linkedin.com/in/yafb

  mobile: +39 320 0466987
   p.iva: 02360350819

--
Ai sensi del D.L. n° 196 del 30/06/03 si precisa che le informazioni
contenute
in questo messaggio sono riservate e ad uso esclusivo del destinatario.
Qualora il messaggio Le fosse pervenuto per errore La preghiamo di
eliminarlo
senza copiarlo, e di non inviarlo a terzi, dandocene gentilmente
comunicazione.
Grazie.
http://www.vtiger.com/

--

Development Manager
Radus28 Software Solution

123, Level 2, Mc Larens Building
Baudhaloka Mw.
Colombo 04
Sri Lanka
M : +94773795291
E  : sutharsan at radus28.com
W : www.radus28.com [12]
http://www.vtiger.com/

http://www.vtiger.com/

http://www.vtiger.com/

   email: info.francescobianco at gmail.com

     pec: info.francescobianco at pec.it
    blog: https://medium.com/@yafb
    sito: https://italia.codecrm.org [11]

  social: https://linkedin.com/in/yafb

  mobile: +39 320 0466987
   p.iva: 02360350819

--
Ai sensi del D.L. n° 196 del 30/06/03 si precisa che le informazioni
contenute
in questo messaggio sono riservate e ad uso esclusivo del destinatario.
Qualora il messaggio Le fosse pervenuto per errore La preghiamo di
eliminarlo
senza copiarlo, e di non inviarlo a terzi, dandocene gentilmente
comunicazione.
Grazie. _______________________________________________
http://www.vtiger.com/
http://www.vtiger.com/