[Vtigercrm-developers] questions about merge requests

Uma S uma.s at vtiger.com
Mon Jun 28 11:44:53 GMT 2021

Hi Angelo,

Thanks! for your merge request in enhancing the expression function.

Yes! As Alan said, I couldn't see many test-cases that this solution could
solve. But I do totally agree with your thought on enhancing expression
handlers instead of duplicating the custom function or event handlers.

I will review to pull the changes to 7.4.0.

Here is my response for your questions

About timing of submissions:
 is there a time when you accept only bug fixes,
another for little new functionalities
>>Throughout the process we can accept bug fixes and  little
new functionalities. But not too close to release.
At least a week prior is good.
and another one for major code changes?
>>Major changes will be accepted in early stages, Soon after we go with the
current release and start on the upcoming version.

About functionalities:
what kind of them you don’t accept?
>> Core functionality modifications are not accepted, As the impact is huge.
what kind of them would you prefer?
>> Which adds value to the platform and value to the community.
Could we add new dashboards?
>> I need to review the issue with the extensibility of the widget model,
Then we can go ahead with this.
Can we add events, expressions, task types to workflows?
Can we add new actions to the email scanner?
>> These changes should carry the relevant use cases that can be solved,
Based on the review we can accept changes.

On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 8:14 PM Angelo Paglialonga <
info at angelopaglialonga.com> wrote:

> Thank you Alan,
> I’ll add some use cases to those tickets as you suggest.
>
> About string manipulation, Why should I copy paste and modify yet another
> custom function just to replace php standard preg_replace? In my opinion it
> should be available as an expression function instead.
>
> We could reuse custom functions in a faster way, if we could just add
> parameters in workflow interface and it would be awesome to reuse custom
> functions inside expressions too.
> I suppose this could be a smarter and faster way of working.
> What do you think?
>

> _______________
>
> Angelo Paglialonga
> Consulente per soluzioni CRM ad alto ROI.
>
> Telefono: 3386077866
> Skype: angelo.paglialonga
> Web: https://www.angelopaglialonga.com
>

> > Il giorno 23 giu 2021, alle ore 14:00, Alan Lord <alanslists at gmail.com>
> ha scritto:
> >
> > On 23/06/2021 12:47, Angelo Paglialonga wrote:
> >> Hi Alan,  ok I’ve got your opinion on adding dashboards, but what do
> you think about my other questions ? Any feedback on merge request *#814 <
> https://code.vtiger.com/vtiger/vtigercrm/merge_requests/814>?*
> >> Thank you for your time!
> >
> > To be honest I have never come across a requirement for these features
> in the Expression editor.
> >
> > It might be worth, in your ticket, explaining the use-case for some of
> these...
> >
> > when a customer requires more complex string handling, or numerical
> calculations etc., we would usually either write a Custom Workflow Function
> or an Event Handler depending on the requirement.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Al
> > http://www.vtiger.com/

With