[Vtigercrm-developers] Community Help: Set roadmap for 7.5.0

S T Prasad stprasad at stprasad.com
Tue Aug 10 15:56:58 GMT 2021

Great going so far.

I am a less than frequent contributor on this list, and I am motivated by
the recent discussions which have taken a very interesting turn in the last
few days.

At the outset, there is a perception, among those who make up the community
so to speak, that there is less than expected responsiveness by the Vtiger
team towards community concerns. A few, like, roadmap clarity, merge
requests pending, market place reviews pending, contribution
acknowledgement etc etc. Yes, the recent acclaim of contributors to 740 was
a significant departure from earlier release announcements.

I take the view that Vtiger, will, must and can do only so much. They are a
business. There are tradeoffs to be made, and those who are not direct
stakeholders, cannot make the rules. It is the bounden responsibility of
the Vtiger management to maximize their stakeholder returns.

Who are we? What is our interest, what is our stake? More after a bit. Lets
reserve the term WE, We, we for now.

If we are to start a branch on code.vtiger.com with community driven MRs as
opposed to Vtiger driven MRs, then we should have 740ce or 750ce branches.
This would keep the community motivation higher as the self review process
would be better. I don't know if the Gitlab access privileges for a
specific branch could be delegated to some of the leading contributors of
this developer-lists. Unless this step happens, we continue to be dependent
on, I desist saying at the mercy of, on Vtiger's ability to focus on the
community's priorities, which necessarily will conflict with their road map.

If one takes a cold view, apart from the individual hotlists, there are 466
issues on the Git, without milestones. 750 has 4 and 800 has 3.

Let's make a beginning, share out the division of labour like Angelo
Paglialonga did and lets get started. We have some 150 days left.

Now to the promised definition of WE.

We are those of us who seek to benefit from Vtiger, directly or indirectly.
Some are partners for many years, some have extension contributions and
many other service offerings where we are able to service a larger base of
users, who are happy with Vtiger but prefer an own instance as opposed to
the On Demand offering.

Some of us are here as those who have earned their daily bread from Vtiger.
Some more, some less. I have said this before, and for the last 10 years my
small enterprise has kept a 25 member team growing from 2, solely on
Vtiger.

So if WE speak, we are not the real community. There is a real community
out there, whose voice is not heard here, on this list. They report issues,
everyday, inexperience, some good, some stupid, some use it as a quasi
marketplace.

So let's WE get our act together, make the 466 to as near zero with
controlled improvement to show to ourselves what what really is lacking
here.

There are more than 466, believe me.

With best regards,

S.T.Prasad (Skype: stprasad at stprasad.com)