[Vtigercrm-developers] Let's make 7.4 fruitful

Alan Lord alanslists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 08:40:59 GMT 2020

Thanks for reaching out Uma,

Here are some of my suggestions (not in any preferential order):

1. Get vtiger up-to-date in terms of requirements for PHP etc. And then
have a process/plan to keep it up-to-date, i.e. using unit tests,
linters etc. FWIW, php7.3 ends active support in 2 months. 7.4 has been
out for nearly a year already.

2. Improve the server/rest APIs so they provide better information (i.e.
optional user-level formatting of returned, data, see
http://lists.vtigercrm.com/pipermail/vtigercrm-developers/2020-August/038853.html
and
http://lists.vtigercrm.com/pipermail/vtigercrm-developers/2020-August/038838.html).
Maybe move the REST API to json format like vtiger cloud?

3. Import the webhook workflow functionality from Cloud

4. Add support to vtws_retrieve so any user can get "safe" information
about _any_ other user. See #1155 and
http://lists.vtigercrm.com/pipermail/vtigercrm-developers/2020-April/038517.html

5. Fix #676, #1003 and try to remove that horrible hack
vtlib_setup_modulevars(). All the necessary information should be in the
respective modules' class file anyway. I really fail to see what the
point of this is and it continues to cause problems.

6. Code cleanup. There are multiple copies of the long and complex
date/time structures such as in modules/Vtiger/models/Field.php line
653, modules/Reports/ReportRun.php line 1740, modules/Reports/Report.php
line 990, modules/CustomView/models/Record.php line 805,
modules/CustomView/CustomView.php line 569... There are so many
instances of code duplication (not just the above)... Put it all in ONE
place, then there's only one place we have to fix later on.

7. Fix filters so admins can remove/edit all of them and default landing
when not "all": #706, #1461

8. #1240

9. See merge request #585 which added support for customising core
language files. Please extend functionality in a way similar to my
suggestion
https://code.vtiger.com/vtiger/vtigercrm/merge_requests/585#note_8739

10. Update online documentation for the Open Source platform. It's not
been changed for *ages*. (If you, vtiger don't have the bandwidth, then
let us in the community have some level of access to the wiki or
whatever and let us write some of it - you could have a moderator's role
to approve/deny if you like).

That should do for now ;-)

Cheers

Al