[Vtigercrm-developers] Has anyone actually tried to "install" vtiger 6.5.0 on Ubuntu 16.04?

John Crisp john at reetspetit.net
Mon Sep 12 17:01:36 GMT 2016

On 08/09/16 14:39, Alan Lord wrote:
> Just noticed this [1] today as well...
>
> PHP5.5 is now EOL so anything below 5.6 is a security risk.
>
> As modern distributions now ship with PHP 7 and MySQL 5.7 I think this
> really needs some attention.

There hangs an discussion I have had with devs before.

If you use a RH based distro they still support the supplied PHP version
so RHEL5/CentOS 5 have 5.3.x

That is supported until next year.....

RHEL/CentOS 6 have a similar version and that is supported until
something like 2020

RHEL 7.2 only has PHP 5.4

If you are on one of these and tied into support contracts etc where you
cannot make changes to the core OS you have a problem.

RHEL do realise this is becoming more of an issue as you can now use
"Software Collections" but even they only go up to PHP v.5.5.x currently

Personally I don't want the latest and greatest and I get seriously
ticked off with forever being told that I am old hat and should be
bleeding edge. It's hard enough to keep up with stuff as it is.

Do I really want to be running on a 'testing' version of Debian ? Do you
think RH are going to listen to me when I tell them to update PHP ?

I can waste enough of my time messing around with dev stuff :-) I don't
need my production systems falling down around my ears.....

Yeah, I know there might be loads of cool new toys and fun stuff to be
had in newer versions of things like PHP, but bear in mind that some of
us either can't, or don't want to be that brave.

My 2c  worth !

B. Rgds
John