[Vtigercrm-developers] Email marketing scenario

Alan Bell alan.bell at libertus.co.uk
Wed Jul 20 10:50:08 GMT 2016

On 20/07/16 08:06, Błażej Pabiszczak wrote:

> Please answer me the following questions so we can discuss further:
>
> 1. About how much data are we talking about [in round numbers] and
> best if it would be with the division into modules.

the system in which the problem became apparent has about 600,000 rows
in vtiger_crmentity, which is 260,000 contacts linked to 16,000 accounts
and a bunch of other custom modules, that isn't the biggest system we
have used this with, but that was the one where brute force querying of
every column became a problem. It might be OK on systems

> 2. What info do you have to search in the search engine [I suppose not
> all info]? Is it enough to define fields, e.g. A, D, E, J for every
> module and search by them?

sadly not, the advanced search worked fine, you could search in specific
fields, and you could narrow down the module you wanted to search in and
that performed reasonably well. The users just wanted to type stuff in
and have it search everywhere just like google does. It might be
possible to get the brute force search to query just summary or quick
create fields as a compromise, but it is always a compromise between
performance and the amount of stuff that can be searched for.

> 3. Does the search engine need any special search attributes?

not really, we do get a bit of a query language for free by using
elastic search, but these are users who just want to type in words or
phone numbers or dates and have the system find stuff.

Alan.