[Vtigercrm-developers] Email marketing scenario

Alan Lord alanslists at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 10:11:24 GMT 2016

On 07/07/16 10:20, Tony Sandman wrote:
> Dear developers
>
> Don't try keep vtiger poor in functionalities just to have opportunity
> to sell your extensions.
> Actually, this group is set for developers of open source doesn't it?
> Garry's comment is correct. Charging 200 for something what should be
> for free here, while alternatives (much better)  are half cheaper
> seems to be inappropriate even (or especially) market is restricted.
> It all about logical core functionalities. They should be for free as
> they seems they should be integral part of vtiger (or whatever CRM)
> On this base vtiger may die giving place for rich in core
> functionalities fork or alternative app.

With that argument vtiger would have to implement *everything* that
*anyone* needs.

Email marketing is a very complex subject and it means very different
things to different people.

There are services which already do this very well and provide nice APIs
for developers to use the service from other applications.

They also handle things like:

* Delivering thousand of emails per minute,
* Not getting your domain blocked for spamming ;-)
* Not getting your emails dumped into the recipient's junk folder
* Quality template engines
* Link Tracking
* Detail Analytics

I for one believe that if a customer of ours really wants to do email
marketing (and few have ever asked us frankly), then they should use a
purpose built service, like Mailchimp, Constant Contact or many others,
and we will help them integrate this service into vtiger.

Re-inventing the wheel and trying to do everything in vtiger is just daft.